Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 2

Today Frank and I went to the hospital in the morning. We spent the day talking to doctors and social workers about what to do about Mike. The medication that they had been giving him in the hospital had helped clear the ammonia from his system and he was more lucid. We were advised to have Mike sign a financial power of attorney and a health care power of attorney while he was lucid. One of them had to be notarized. We called in a notary and all the papers were signed. We will be looking into his financial status so we will know how much money he has to pay toward a board and care facility. Everyone is quite eager to get him out of Kaiser. He does not need acute care. He needs a place to be where he can peacefully slip away. We made it clear to them that we can not take care of him. Im quite sure I would loose the balance I have created in my life to keep my bipolar disorder at bay.
So things are still up in the air. One positive thing about the day is that Mike was lucid enough to take part in the discussions about his care and to sign the powers of attorney.
So, this will be our life for this time that Mike has left with us. I hope I can give him what he needs and I hope I can give myself what I need. We are both deserving of care.

No comments:

Post a Comment