Friday, June 10, 2011

The Man in the kilt


I was walking down the hill on one of the back trails of the Wild Animal Park listening to the bagpipes we had played at Mike's memorial. When I looked up and saw a man in a kilt standing by a fence. I couldnt believe my eyes. I went up to him and showed him the flyer from Mike's funeral. Then I burst into tears and threw myself in his arms. If he was a little taken aback he didnt show it. He just held me and let me cry.He told me he is Scotch Irish. Just like Mike! He was a tall man, like Mike.  I told him my maiden name is Campbell. He said that he was from Clan Macgregor. Like the Scottish hero Rob Roy. He said that Rob Roy married a Campbell. So we might be distantly related. He told me I reminded him of his mother who is short with white hair. He had such a comforting presence. I had the presence of mind to take a picture and to ask him if I could have a picture taken with him. What are the odds of seeing a man in a kilt at the Wild Animal Park while listening to bagpipes from Mike's memorial??????

1 comment:

  1. Wow... God has opened the veil for you and Katie just wide enough to sense and hear Mike's spirit reach for you. What a wonderful gift of hope and comfort. Even to have a man be physically there for you to physically see, with your own eyes, the heritage of our past right in front of you. It didn't matter WHO he was, but it mattered WHAT he was.... A man proud enough to stand out from the crowd by displaying his heritage, and willing to comfort some strange, sweet stranger grieving for her lost son. God bless him... and you. Scott

    ReplyDelete