Thursday, May 26, 2011

Running in circles

Today Frank and I drove all over San Diego county today taking care of Mike's business. His friends at La Costa Limo went over to his condo and cleared out most of his stuff and put it in his car.  Frank and I went over and got his car, picked up his paycheck and tried to get into his room for a few more things. We were able to get into the condo. But the door was locked to his room, so we couldnt get in.  Then I tried to get into his post office box. But the key didnt work.
So finally I gave up and got on the freeway and headed over to the hospital. It was 3pm when I got there. One of the social workers called and told me that they had found a place for Mike in a beautiful skilled nursing facility called Casa De los Companas in Rancho Bernardo. This is a temporary placement while they look for a more permanent one.  He will be only a few mile from us, and NOT in a busy noisy hospital.
Today I had a few sweet moments with Mike. He was awake, so I sat on his bed close to him and we said a few things to each other. Then we just looked deep into each others eyes for a long time. I felt very connected to him in those moments. And the sweet pain of loss washed over me.  Today I saw my son. The son I know and love. The son I always knew was there. It will be a long good bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment