Saturday, June 11, 2011

One week


It has been one week since Mike died. I say it like it is. He died, not passed away. I have to keep saying it to believe it myself. We could go a couple of weeks without hearing from Mike. So it would be easy to forget that we will never hear from him again. It feels like he is still around. I think he will hang out for a while before he is ready to leave. He has a lot to sort out. And a lot to help us sort out. He is in a position to do that now. The shoe is on the other foot. He has all the answers and we are left with all the questions. But that has been our life. We never knew what to do to make him better. It turns out nothing we did would make him better.  Was it a complete waste of time energy and love? I dont think so. I couldnt help but love him, in all his complexity. As I look through the pictures of him with us I remember that there was so much more to Mike than the thing that led him to his death. Im so glad I was such an avid photographer. I recorded all of our happy moments and some of our sad ones.  Im glad I have all of it now. 
I think about Mike almost all the time. When I get distracted for a while. I suddenly feel very sad. And then I remember why. But I will move forward. 
One more thing. I have said very little about Katie our wonderful daughter and Bruce our wonderful son in law. That is because I think they would not want their part of this story on the internet. I love them dearly. And Im very very proud of them. They were here when Mike died. That was important to me. They are back living their lives now. This is as it should be.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. What a deep study of life and death. I have 5 brothers and sisters, 14 nieces and nephews not counting my awesome family that "married in", plus 6 great nieces and nephews and more on the way. Except for my Dad, this is the first loss of my immediate family. Mike stares at me in many of the photos that have been posted. The loss is great, but must pale in comparison to what Mother, Father, Sister, others must feel. All I can say is that your words parallel my journey through this tough time. In mind I know he is gone, but in my heart I'm still trying to find a more comfortable couch for him to stay on next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete