Saturday, June 18, 2011

The time has come


It has only been two weeks since Mike died. He died two weeks ago today at 7:30 AM. (15 minutes ago).  It has been quite a journey. It started when Mike was in his late teens. And ended two weeks ago. But wait. There is no beginning and no end. It only seems that way to us who still walk the earth. Mike has not ended. Nor will any of us. We step in and out of a body, thats all. If I were to fling myself into outer space, I would realize that it has no beginning and no end. As the bible says, "I am the alpha and the omega' The beginning and the end. We are all in the circle of life.
Yesterday afternoon Frank and a neighbor went to visit another neighbor who was in a nursing home. We live in the country on a little street where we raised our families and never left. Our children are grown and most have grandchildren even great grandchildren.  Our friendships have lasted almost 40 years. When Frank returned he told me that our friend was near death. He was breathing as Mike did just before he died. His wife was there by herself. I knew I had to go to her.  And I knew I could handle it. Why? because Mike told me I could. It was time for me to step outside of myself and reach out to someone who needed me.
When I arrived at the nursing home,  my friend and her son were sitting by her husband's bed. She turned to me and said, 'He just passed a few minutes ago.' I went to her and hugged her for a long time. Then I just sat in the room with them as they absorbed their loss.
I stayed with them a couple hours as their family came to them to share the pain and sadness. When there were plenty of family with her, I left. Today I will make them a casserole and bring it to them, just as she did for us two weeks ago. It's time to pay it forward. Life is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment